Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 112

Long time, no blog!

Early September to early October was absolutely horrible, and although I've been feeling better since then, I can't say that my health has 'stabilised' as expected.

Nevertheless, I had to go back and see Prof Borody 2 weeks ago, so Ryan and I had a chat to see if we'd noticed any improvement. We agreed that I am now more tolerant of the new high fibre bread I'd started taking - I'm now eating 50% of that bread, and 50% of the old rice bread without negative reaction (or positive improvement for that matter). Additionally, my mood swings had dropped by about 80%.

I also think that my eyes are less puffy (not that I'd ever noticed them being puffy, but lately they seem bigger than normal, so they must have been), but Ryan didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyways, I took that news to Prof Borody, who felt the treatment had failed. I wouldn't go that far - certainly, being able to reach the daily recommended fibre intake for an adult is a big improvement, in my opinion.

Prof Borody suggested I might like to have a transplant once a week, for 6 consecutive weeks, in case my now consistent fibre intake could help gain further results. He said if any improvement occurred, I'd notice it by the end of week 5.

I was ready to give it another go, so I contacted S to book in, only to be told that she could only offer me 3 consecutive weeks starting last week, with the possibility of further weeks if the hospital could squeeze me in.

I explained that in that case, I had no problems waiting until the new year to have the six consecutive weeks, as Prof Borody had advised me that week 5 would likely be the one to give me improvement.

At this point, S became terse, telling me that I couldn't have it next year; the hospital would be closed over the holiday period, and also the donors would be having a break, too.

Again, I said that was fine, I'll wait until Feb.

She told me they'd probably be closed in Feb, too, and that there was no 'magic number' of weeks for treatment.

At this stage I gave up - fine, I'll risk wasting $1050 for three weeks treatment without any guarantee of a further three weeks, whatever.

So that's what I'm doing - I had the first treatment last week, and no improvement to date. In fact I'm a bit tired and pissed off, but that might just be circumstantial.

Signing off for now, wish me luck (again!)